Dr Sulaiman Heylen, MD
1. Chairman Cape Fertility
2. President SASREG
Qualifications and Registrations
1. 1984: Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Cum Laude).
2. 1988: Medical Doctor (Maxima Cum Laude).
3. 1993 Specialist in Obstetrics and gynaecology.
4. 2007: Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine.
Health Professional Council of South Africa.
5. 2013: Gynecological Endoscopist Certificate. (with distinction)
European Academy of Gynecological surgery.
6. 2017: Master Reproductive Endoscopic Surgeon.
European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.
Work Experience and Positions
Dr Heylen joined Cape Fertility in 1995, and has been director of Cape Fertility since then. He introduced the use of TESA (Testicular Sperm Aspiration) and ESA (Epidydimal Sperm Aspiration). Dr Heylen has published several articles in leading international fertility journals and was the first to perform laparoscopical tubal re-anastomosis in South Africa. With the embryology team of Cape Fertility Clinic he had the first PGD pregancy in 2003. He devotes himself to the further development of infertility in South Africa. He is a regular invited speaker at fertility congresses, post graduate courses and universities.
Dr Heylen is a specialist in reproductive surgery (laparoscopy and hysteroscopy). He performs very specialised procedures like the removal of Asherman’s syndrome and laparoscopic transabdominal cerclage. He has extensive experience in surgery for endometriosis and fibroids.He is a director of the Foundation for Endometriosis Awareness, Advocacy and Support. www.endometriosisawareness.co.za
Dr Heylen is registered as an obstetrician and gynaecologist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) and as a Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine with the same body. He is the Chairman of Cape Fertility.
Dr Heylen is the first South African to become an EHSRE (European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology) certified Master in Reproductive Endoscopic Surgery (January 2017).
Dr Heylen served as vice-president of SASREG (South African Society of Reproductive medicine and Gynaecological Endoscopy)in March 2017. He was elected as president of SASREG in October 2018.
Dr Heylen is married and has three children. He is a black belt (3rd Dan) in Karate. He loves cycling.
Dr Heylen is a Member of the following Societies and Associations:
* The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) since 1995.
* European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE) since 1995.
* International Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (ISGE).
* South African Medical Association (SAMA).
* South African Society of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (SASOG).
* South African Society of Reproductive Medicine and Gynaecologic endoscopy (SASREG).
* European Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (ESGE).
For Appointments or Enquiries with Dr Heylen please contact:
Nazeema Abrahams (PA)